header1

header1

Friday, November 30, 2012

German Kugel


Kugel, or "noodle pudding," was one of my favorite things to order from one of the local German restaurants in Ohio. The other day I decided to make it myself :) I was impressed, let me tell you! 

Here's a little wikipedia knowledge on this dish:
The first kugels were made from bread and flour and were savory rather than sweet. About 800 years ago, cooks in Germany replaced the bread mixtures with noodles or farfel. Eventually eggs were incorporated. The addition of cottage cheese and milk created a custard- like consistency which is common in today's dessert dishes. In Poland, Jewish homemakers added raisins, cinnamon and sweet farmers cheese to noodle kugel recipes. In the late 19th century, people of Jerusalem combined carmalized sugar and black pepper in a noodle kugel known as "Jerusalem kugel," which is commonly served at Shabbat kiddushes. In Romania, this dish is called Budinca de Macaroane/Paste Fainoase (macaroni/pasta pudding), and is a traditional romanian dish. In certain villages throughout the country it is known as "Baba Acolo." It is made with or without cheese, but it most always includes raisins.

...This explains why my husband was like "I have tasted something like this before." (For those who don't know, he was born in Romania.)

Preheat oven to 375
Use a greased 9x13 glass baking dish
Cooking time: 45 minutes

Filling:
1 bag, wide egg noodles, cooked per instructions (I used "no yokes")
3 apples, peeled and chopped
2 cups of white raisins
2 eggs
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tsp of vanilla
4 tbsp of melted butter (I used immitation butter)
1 cup of milk (I used skim milk)
1/2 cup sour cream (I used fat free sour cream)
4 oz of cream cheese (I used fat free cream cheese)
1 tbsp of cinnamon

Topping:
1 cup of smashed graham crackers
1/2 cup of smashed corn flakes
1/2 cup of sugar
6 tbsp of melted butter
1/2 tsp of cinnamon

1) In a large bowl, mix cooked egg noodles, chopped apples and raisins









2) Using an electric mixer, beat eggs, sugar, vanilla, butter and milk together









3) Now add cottage cheese, sour cream and cream cheese, and again using the electric mixer, beat together      until well blended









4) Fold mixture into the noodle/raisin/apple mixture until well covered
5) Pour into prepared glass baking dish









6) With a fork, combine the topping items and sprinkle topping over noodle mixture


















7) Bake until knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm.









I fried up some Polish Kielbasi (seasoned with pepper and paprika) and served the kugel as a side dish. The sweetness of the kugel really compliments the kielbasi, and if you were looking to serve this dish with something, I would suggest this.









The picture does not do it justice!
I think I will make this again this week!
*Patting self on the back*