header1

header1

Friday, January 25, 2013

DIY Laundry Soap


One of my goals for 2013 is to get my house as chemical free as possible. What I'm quickly learning, oddly enough, is that this is actually putting extra bucks IN my pocket, rather than taking more money out. 

I do at least 3 loads of laundry a day, and go through laundry soap like crazy. So when I learned that I could not only make my own, but save some money, I was eager to try it out.

My last batch lasted me 4 months for a family of 6! And guess what? It only cost me about 25 bucks. I spent that easily in 1 month of purchasing my name brand laundry soap in the past. 

Here's what you will need:


2 Tubs of Sun Oxygen 
1 76 oz box of Borax
3 Bars of Fels-Naptha Soap
2 Cups of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1 55 oz box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1 64 oz bottle of Purex Crystals (Optional, but worth it!)
(All of these items you can find in the laundry soap isle. I got everything at my local walmart)
A food processor, OR a cheese grate 
2 Garbage bags (Doubled bagged)
Knife

Step 1: Food Processor: Open and dice each bar of Fels-Naptha soap, place in your food processor. I used our magic bullet, and it did the job easily, grinding them into small beads. Set the soap aside.

Step 1: Cheese Grate: If you do not have a food processor, or just dont want to use yours, instead of dicing your soap, simply shread it with a cheese grater. I did this with my first batch, it was quite the work out, but it works just as well. Set the soap aside.



Step 2: On top of a table spread out your double bagged garbage bag. Start adding all ingrediants into the bag. Once finished, make sure you tie it up really well so nothing escapes while mixing.

Step 3: MIX! Roll your bag around on the table several times (It will be very heavy). Go in all directions to be sure it is mixed evenly. 

Step 4: Put into containers. I used a measuring cup to help scoop the detergent out of the bag and into my tubs. I save my Sun tubs and use them to store my detergent in. Exactly 4 tubs will hold this entire batch. 


I use the scooper from the Sun tubs as my measuring tool. I pour 1 cup directly into the laundry machine, then place my laundry and then a scoop on top. My kids are really dirty! 

*This laundry soap is HE safe

* Your soap may start to seperate in the tub over time due to the different weights of mixed ingrediants. All you have to do is just shake up your tub every now and again :)

*The Purex Crystals are optional, and the detergent will work just as well without them. However, these give your laundry such a sweet aroma that fills your entire house every time you wash. I like the lavender scent as well as the ocean breeze. 
HAPPY WASHING!