header1

header1

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Salt Dough Ornaments

     
I have been wanting to post this for a while now. Since the new year we've been passing around a yucky bug and I haven't had much of a chance to post. But don't fret! I am now back :)

     Who remembers making salt dough ornaments in kindergarten  I do! And now I'm making them with MY kindergartner :) Time flies....


To make your own salt dough you will need:
1/2 cup of salt
1/2 cup of water
1 cup of flour

     Mix salt and flour in a mixing bowl. Slowly add in the water while mixing. You might not need all of it. You want it be kinda dry, but if it gets too sticky, then add a little more flour. Once its the right consistency, knead the dough and then roll out and use cookie cutters to make your shape. Be sure to use a pencil and make a small hole at the top so you are able to make a tree hanger.

     There are several ways to cook the dough. You could simply let the dough sit out for about 3 days to harden. You could also set your oven to it's lowest temp and bake for 3 hours or until hard. OR, if you are really impatient, LIKE ME, you can just pop 'em in the microwave for 3 minutes! If they are still wet after 3 minutes, continue cooking in 20 second intervals until hard. Allow to cool.

     I made star ornaments covered in gold glitter. Using Modge-Podge and a sponge brush, I coated each star and then covered with glitter. Once dried, I applied a second coat of Modge-Podge on top to seal the glitter on. We had a lot of fun!