header1

header1

Thursday, March 14, 2013

DIY Baby Wipes


Here's something I wish I knew about, oh.... like 6 years ago...! Sophia, baby number 4, has been no stranger to the evil diaper rash... as with all my kiddos, she too has that super sensitive skin. Baby wipes are made mainly with alcohol and can really ruff up a tushy, as well as dry out their faces after a messy meal. Being the faithful (addicted) pintrest adventurer that I am, I came across many different ideas for home made baby wipes. Here is my recipe, along with ingredients found at your local Walmart.

You will need 1 roll of Bounty paper towels
 (Trust me, they must be Bounty. I have tried the comparison brand and it just didn't hold up.)
1 Tbsp of coconut oil
1 Tbsp of baby wash
(I have never had a problem with Johnson's, but use whatever is best for your child during bath time)
2 containers with lids
(I found mine in the food storage isle. Make sure the roll of paper towels will fit snugly into the container)
1 1/4 Cup of distilled water
knife and scissors 
Find the middle and begin cutting in half. Using your knife, slice in the same direction  (NOT a back and forth motion)  Turn the roll of paper towels as you cut. It will look a little messy when done, but don't worry.
Using your scissors, trim off  the shredded pieces from cutting.
Now mix your water, coconut oil and baby wash in bowl. The measurements are for 1 container of baby wipes. If you are making 2 at a time, like I do, then double up the recipe.
Place each roll into their container. Pour  the mixed solution over top each one. Close with lid, and wait 5 minutes. 
After about 5 minutes, take the rolls out and turn them over. The rest of the solution will begin to move to the bottom of the roll.  Now you should be able to wiggle the paper tube out of the middle. Once you do that, find the end of the paper towels from the center and pull out.
Now to make a lid. Using sharp scissors, begin making an "X" 
My lid is made from a hard plastic, so the "X" wasn't flexible enough for the baby wipe to pull through, So I began to make more of a hole.
Put the lid on and pull through!
They smell awesome! And make the skin silky smooth! Since playing around with the home made baby wipes I have learned that a little goes a long way- unlike some store bought brands. I have tried Bounty "select a size" and actually liked the regular sized ones better. And as I said I also tried off brand paper towels and really just wasted my time (and money) as they just didn't hold up like they should. After purchasing your ingredients, which obviously you can/do use for other things, each tub of wipes will only cost you around 50 cents!